Yokomo YD-2S Plus impressions and setup

Yokomo YD-2S Plus setup

Heyo! I know it's been a while, but I was really busy tinkering and testing all the time, so I did not make a time to make some decent pics until now.

So how is the YD-2? Well, as you can see, the wires are mess, bits of pink leftovers from the D4 here and there, but I am having fun and that is what matters!


Yokomo YD-2S Plus setup

I am using quite standard steering setup. Nothing crazy, just a small amount of toe out and camber.

Yokomo YD-2S Plus setup

That is however, where the normal stuff ends.

As for the suspension, I went full balls out and I softened the hell out of that and I love it!

Rear shocks are mounted all the way in, the closest to the center possible, with only a small amount of oil to lubricate. Soft springs are preloaded all the way down to lift the chassis on extended shock shafts, rising the ride height over 10mm and at the same time providing another 10mm of droop.
The suspension arms are moved all the way back and shimmed to make a significant pro-squat geometry.

Yokomo YD-2S Plus setup

Front shocks are also mounted the closest to the center possible, with 150 Yokomo oil, 8 hole pistons and pink Yokomo springs. Shock shafts are also extended by unscrewing the bottom ball cups to 10mm ride height and over 10mm droop.

Yokomo YD-2S Plus setup

I was aiming all of this settings to maximize the suspension travel and to make it really work all the way up and down based on the throttle input.


On this slow motion video, the on-throttle squat is really evident. The rest depends on the ESC setup - more boost/turbo RPM results in more dramatic squat. Squat results in weight shift, giving an increased grip on those slippery tires.

At first, I did this just out of a curiosity, but the feel is so good, that I left the suspension just the crazy way it is and I enjoy every bit of it.


Overall the car is exceptionally smooth and fast. Also, thanks to the open diff (I used just a small amount of oil) and huge steering lock, it is very forgiving too.

Well done, Yokomo. Finally I stepped into these waters and I absolutely love the quality, well thought and refined design of those products, making me enjoy this hobby more than ever! Now I understand, what makes it the leading company in the world of RC drifting!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts