YD-2S on the end of 2018 season

YD-2S 2018 version

As the new year starts, I have many updates on my YD-2 coming. Together with the new parts installation, I am going to do a thorough rebuild and maintenance of the whole chassis, but before the I tear it up, I might as well do a little write-up of how the final 2018 looked like.


YD-2S 2018 version - Bao La front end

Bao La's front end is the only part, that remained pretty much intact from the last time, apart from some minor setup changes, which I will probably cover in the future.

YD-2S 2018 version - upper deck

Getting to the mid part, you can see a major wiring cleanup as after so many months it was about time.
I have also ditched the standard S version battery holder, which looks hideous if you ask me. I have seen a similar solution from other people and it really appealed to me, so instead of this ugly piece, I have reused the carbon fiber side braces, which were replaced by the aero side pieces in the summer.
No super special parts needed here - just a couple of salvaged servo mounts to the front, an M3 threaded rod with spacers and nuts to the back and it was done.

YD-2S 2018 version - battery holder

What a coincidence, the leftover pieces which I cut off the side braces made an awesome battery holder. Great! You have to love it when the problem solves itself before you even find out.

YD-2S 2018 version - motor cooling fan

Relocating the ESC opened up a space for the motor cooling fan to be in more convenient position.

YD-2S 2018 version - rear diffuser mounted ESC

Finally the key element was moving the ESC to the rear diffuser, which as I can see now was in a time when everyone started doing this. And it's not hard to explain why.

YD-2S 2018 version

As you can see, almost every part is now being shifted to the rear of the chassis, which means an only thing. Speed.
In competitive drifting, as it seems to me a raw speed is one of the most (if not THE most) important things. It does not matter how smooth or refined your style is, if you are slow, you are done. We may not like it, but that's the reality.
And moving the existing weight to the rear is one of the easiest things you can do to be faster.

YD-2S 2018 version - rear knuckles

This is just something I was testing out. Inspired by the new version of rear knuckles, I tried to achieve a similar camber progression with what I had at home.

YD-2S 2018 version - Acuvance Chevalier RAIZ

This Acuvance capacitor had sneaked its' way to my car to help the batteries push enough power to keep up with increasing boost requirements. Maybe I should add another one?

YD-2S 2018 version - with YD-2E

As the 2018 is over, there are many things on my to-do list. Stay tuned, as I am looking forward to share what the 2019 brings!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts